Monday 16 September 2013

My First Binondo Foodtrip - Wai Ying Fast Food

I usually spend my Sundays resting, watching movies or series or doing grocery shopping or just sleeping. Weekends are supposed to be spent like these but last week my tummy went crazy!! And it craved for dimsums and noodles and everything Chinese! I was thinking of going to Passion at Resorts World Manila because they offer dimsum buffet. But it's so lonely to eat buffet alone and it's very far from where I live! So I thought, where else could I find the authentic Chinese restaurants in the Metro -- Binondo!

Just a little background about the place. Binondo is an enclave in Manila primarily populated by ethnic Chinese living in the Philippines. It is the oldest Chinatown in the world, established in 1594. You will know you are Binondo once you see the Binondo Church also known as Minor Basilica of San Lorenzo Ruiz.



When you walk past the right side of the Church, you will be greeted by this arch. It says "Welcome Manila Chinatown". This is also popularly known as "Ongpin". 


The streets of Ongpin showcase all things Chinese and cultural. When you look around, lines of Chinese fast food/restaurants, jewelry shops, medium rise short time hotels and herbal drug stores abound the place. 




But for this entry, I will focus on my first taste of authentic Chinese food here in Binondo. So I went to this very popular Chinese fast food - Wai Ying Fast Food. 



Wai Ying fast food is located at 832 Benavides St., Sta. Cruz Manila. It is a small fast food that offers a lot of Chinese delicacies. They have noodles, soup, congee (lugaw), rice toppings, vegetables, chong fan, roasted poultry, drinks, dessert and most specially dimsum. 


Here is Wai Ying Fast Food Menu. The prices of the food are very affordable. And so I ordered their specialties. (Okay, don't judge me now! Hehehe..)




First is the fried rice. Okay, there is nothing special about this fried rice. And I think it is quite pricey at 90 Php for the serving. 



Next is the beef noodles. I think the beef noodles is good. The noodles are firm and there is a generous amount of beef chunks which I find very "sulit" for its price. I used to order chicken noodles in a Chinese restaurant but Wai Ying's version of beef noodles is just too worthy not to give a try. 


Here we go to my favorite part! DIMSUMS!!!!

First is their signature pork siomai. Wai Ying's siomai is quite pricey but it soooo delicious!!! As you can see, their siomai's are topped with small shrimps and the meat that comes with it is so tender. Actually, even if you don't put in any soy sauce to it, you will still feel and taste the goodness of its flavor!


Next is HAKAW or shrimp dumpling. So Wai Ying's hakaw is very tasty. You can feel the texture and richness of the plump shrimp wrapped in this thin and translucent soft dough shell. It is best paired with chili sauce though. 


Lastly, to complete the set, (yes, I ate them all.. I have a hardened tummy!!! :p) I ordered their cold milk tea. It was good. It is not too sweet and not too tea-ish. It is just brewed to perfection. It's not your typical milk tea that you normally buy in the mall like Dakasi, Chatime or Serenitea. I obviously drank all of it in just a few seconds! Hahaha


I was way too full when I left Wai Ying! Their food is the best tasting Chinese food so far! I will surely come back here again! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...